Called to Serve

Called to Serve

Monday, June 29, 2015

Families Can Be Together Forever

Laguna Niguel 
So 110 degrees huh? That's pretty insane! It's been up in the 80's most of the week and we have been doing a ton of service this last week. The humidity makes it a lot worse than it is. But the best part is that the closer to the ocean we get, the cooler it gets. It drops about 10 degrees from just over the mountain to Laguna Beach. So in-land it's about 90 degrees. 

The family reunion sounds like it was a blast! I would love to do some fishing right about now. Why did they never do that when I was there!!! But that's way cool about the next missionaries in the family. I agree that it's a really good idea to wait before your mission. I loved all of the experience that I got before I came out. I feel like I have always had a pretty good idea of what it means to really work but those last few months really seemed to help. The work out here is exhausting! It's crazy that I can feel so tired all the time. Even just talking to people at times seems to take it out of me.

What's the update on the guys in our ward? Are any of them doing college or missions or anything like that? 

So in response to dad's email: we are still in our trio with Hancock and Watts, but this is the last week of the transfer. We get calls this Saturday telling us if we are leaving or not. I have a feeling that I am going to be staying one more transfer to finish Watts' training. This is Hancock's last week as a missionary! He is heading home next Tuesday. It's crazy how much I am going to miss him! I have loved serving with him and I have learned so much more from him than just missionary work. 

On the note of the work out here, we have had a hard time meeting with anyone for some time now. I haven't taught a formal lesson in about a month. But not all of missionary work is lessons. 
On a very sad note, Alyssa (the mother of Gavin and daughter of Don) passed away this last Tuesday. She passed at 5 in the morning after fighting cancer for the last year. It's super sad. We went over to be with the family around noon and her body was still there. It was crazy the feeling at that home. People were pretty relieved that she was gone and not suffering anymore. We talked to Don and Gavin and they seemed to be doing ok. Don is pretty sad about it but relieved for her at the same time. Gavin is just so young that he is coping with it really well. 

We were able to get them to come to church this last Sunday and that was really cool. Don came for the first time. He missed sacrament but just came to meet people and to visit while Gavin was in class with all the kids. It's a crazy situation still. The family that is letting Don and Gavin stay in their home is a family that goes to a church that loves spreading Anti-Mormon crap to our investigators. They have taught Gavin a whole bunch of false stuff, but we know that Don feels something different about what we do. So we will continue to keep working with them. We are going to go to the temple this week with Don hopefully and talk to him about how there is a way to be physically and spiritually connected to his daughter. It should be pretty amazing :)

Other than that, not much has been happening. We have been trying to help Hancock get ready to leave and this last week is going to be packed with a ton of stuff. I will try to be better at getting pictures from now on. I play piano about once a week but I am loving all those songs that I bought! There is a thing once a month at the temple were they allow missionaries to come and preform songs and stuff so I hope to be able to do that soon! 

I love you all so very very much and I miss you little girls more than you know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment